6/1/15

Summertime



Summertime is here. And it's finally stopped raining enough to feel like it. I've been taking a break from obsessing about writing and I've been swimming in small pleasures while also trying to adjust to the end of Mother's Day Out and having my toddler home with me all day every day. I'm drinking iced Americanos and getting bit by mosquitoes and taking naps whenever I can.

Here's a few of the things I've been living and loving lately.




Music: 
BORNS - Candy EP. This is happy dancey feel good music.

Movies: 



On Mother's Day my husband treated me by letting me go to a matinee by myself. He knows what I like! I went to go see Far From the Madding Crowd. It was a nice period film.  It makes me want to go back and read the book. It makes me wonder why I haven't read the book. It makes me wonder if I did read the book in college and forgot it? Hmmm.



We also saw Mad Max: Fury Road. I wanted to love it. Because I'm a child of the 80s, okay? And it was a big, gorgeous extravaganza of weirdness, but it didn't hit me in the heart. Maybe I was too busy being blown away by all the intense action.

TV: 


The Blacklist is the latest tv show I've gotten hooked on. I'm not so big on the "criminal of the week" format, but the chemistry between Reddington and Elizabeth Keen is just so great - the ongoing mystery of who is he and what is he to her? And I love the oh-so-addictive weird relationship between Elizabeth and Tom Keen. It reminds me a lot of Alias (and I loved that show) with less far-out and cheesy spy stuff (although that was kind of fun too). The first season of Blacklist is on Netflix if you want to check it out.



Okay, and I have to give another plug for Hart of Dixie here. This show is over. The season finale was a few months ago. But I love the way they ended it. I hate it when I love a show and it ends abruptly or badly.  I swear this season I cried almost every episode. They know just how to make me laugh and cry too. So if you like girly quirky screwball comedies like Gilmore Girls, you have to watch Hart of Dixie. Also on Netflix, people!



And... the Bachelorette is back on! Don't make plans with me for Monday nights because I will be butt in seat watching all summer long. Yes, this show is ridiculous. Yes, that's why I watch it.

And of course, Books: 



I've been reading a TON lately. Or maybe I should say I've been listening a TON. Because I've ripped through a lot of audiobooks in addition to the books I've been reading.

I have a lot of thoughts about reading I'd love to sit down and hash out. I still haven't found my perfect niche as a reader (and probably never will). I keep expecting to find some sub-genre that is just so ME that I want to read it forever. But I don't.  I'll read some women's contemporary fiction.  Then some women's historical fiction. And then read some YA fantasy as a chaser. And then I will read chick lit as a palate cleanser. Then I'll read sci fi. Then I'll read a historical mystery. And maybe some memoir or non-fiction thrown in for good measure.

It's like a good dinner. I need contrasting varieties and tastes and textures to keep it fresh and interesting.

Here are a few of my recent faves:
  • The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins
  • Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
  • At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
  • Time's Edge by Rysa Walker
  • Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
  • I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik
If you want to see more of what I'm reading or my book reviews, please check me out on Goodreads and add me as a friend so I can see what you're reading too.

And, Food, Food, Food!!!



Cookbooks I've been perusing from the library:
  • Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food
  • Buvette - I want to eat here next time I'm in NYC or Paris! 
Favorite recipes recently:
Miscellany:

Kendra Scott - Ohhhhh no. I've been bitten by the Kendra Scott bug. I asked for one of her necklaces for Mother's Day. I just love the fun funky style, the different color choices and it's good quality. I'm so tired of buying costume jewelry and having the metal finish wear off in six months. Every woman I know in Austin seems to love Kendra Scott. Is this just an Austin thing because she's local? Or is every woman in Kansas and Atlanta and LA wearing her stuff too?

Coola face SPF 30 matte tint sunscreen - Okay, this is weird. But I am in love with this stuff. Because I need to be wearing sunscreen on my face everyday. Because it doesn't feel like I am wearing sunscreen on my face everyday. Because it's light and soft nothingness on my skin. And because it's non-chemical sunscreen.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, sounds like quite the life!! Cherish those toddler days, goes by so fast, as I'm sure you know and have been told a thousand times =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sensibilities! Thank you for sharing the books and recipes. I'm always looking for good stuff. And I never know what to read. I admire how much beauty you pack into your life!

    ReplyDelete